Friday, December 30, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year . . .

. . . is July. Although Andy Williams would disagree, Kacie and I believe that summer vacation, warm weather, and the Tour de France trump Christmastime. Nevertheless, the last month has been very nice. Since Cozumel, I've been doing all of the things that I did not do during my Ironman buildup. I've relaxed my eating standards, which coincides nicely with the holidays. I've read books like Hellhound on His Trail and The Fall of Giants, both of which I recommend. I've even gotten a cold after staying completely healthy for the entire first half of the school year. (I'm not sure that that last one fits with the overall festive mood.)

All of this means that I'll sneeze my way into the new year tomorrow night heavier, smarter, more relaxed, and ready to conquer the next set of goals. My coach and I worked out the following list for the first half of 2012:

1/16 ~ MLK 5K
1/21 ~ 200K Brevet
1/29 ~ Callaway Half-marathon (training tempo run)
2/11 ~ Chattahoochee Challenge 10K
2/18 ~ Tundra TT
3/3 ~ 200K Brevet
3/18 ~ Georgia Half-marathon
3/25 ~ Powerman Alabama
4/14 ~ Wheels ‘o Fire Century
4/22 ~ Cheaha Challenge
4/28 ~ Issaqueena’s Last Ride
5/6 ~ REV3 Knoxville 70.3
5/12 ~ Brasstown Bald Buster Century (this is a maybe)
6/2 ~ REV3 Quassy 70.3
6/24 ~ Ironman Coeur d’Alene

I'm looking forward to each of them, even though it's a little bit difficult to imagine running a 5K in two weeks given how terrible I feel right now. I'm sure that I'll bounce back soon.

The Georgia Half-Marathon and Powerman Alabama are going to be major focus events, as will be the two half-iron triathlons. Of course, they all lead to the grandaddy event of the summer, Ironman CdA. The Half-Marathon and Powerman are going to be important markers, too, because they will represent the moment in my training when I switch from shorter VO2 max stuff to longer LT stuff. As I've written before, starting with the shorter repeats and moving to the longer stuff is new for this training cycle, and I'm looking forward to it. Between now and mid-March, I'll do a lower number of hours but with higher intensity. This will include my Coach's "Ultimate Cycling Sessions" twice a week, some faster stuff in the pool, and plenty of shorter repeats on the gravel track across the street from our house. After the Georgia HM and Powerman (both of which should be faster as a result of the shorter, faster training), I'll build my hours and switch to longer, less intense training sessions. As a result, I hope to be better prepared to perform well at Ironman CdA.

With the start of the new year, I'll clean up my eating, I'll quit missing workouts, I'll start losing the weight I've gained, and hopefully, I'll kick this cold. After a month of rest, I'm looking forward to it!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! that is a lot of racing!! I'm glad you are enjoying the off-season! Get better soon and I look forward to seeing you guys in Quassy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list because it made me think "I wonder which f these races I can do too since I'll live near George in a month". :)
    I'm actually going the ING half and Knoxville. Can't wait to see you and Kacie soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time reading this blog, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete